Monday, March 16, 2015

The Meaningful Quest for Meaning

Father Dragon is reading... a lot. If there is anyone out there wondering where the overgrown lizard with the red scaly face has been lately, I've been studying.

At my 803 years, I decided it was time to go for the High School certificate I didn't get when I was the size of a Komodo dragon. They say it is never late to learn. Actually, we're always learning something new. Whether we realize this or not, is another story.

I do have a career. I have a degree on Raiding Villages, specialization on Charring, Destroying and Treasure Hogging. First on my class of Virgin Barbecue, International Cuisine. I've taken other courses and learned a lot more things on different areas. Back at the time I was learning all these things I thought they were interesting but I knew they were not part of my greatest dream. For some strange reason, all the diplomas and acknowledgements hanging on the cave wall are meaningless now to me. I look at them and I feel no excitement about knowing these things. I don't feel I or my life are more meaningful because of them.

Funny enough, I have never actively pursued my greatest dream, my heart's desire. Reasons of why I didn't pursue my dream, there are many, but I question their validity. One day I just found myself feeling my life would have no meaning if I leave this world without making *that* dream, The Dream, come true. Or maybe not come true, but at least start to walk the path that takes me closer to it. Not as hobby, but as my reason to live. To breathe it, to eat it, to bath in it until I ooze its scent. That's why at this late age I started High School. It's the first step towards turning The Dream into The Reality.

Will another diploma on the wall give meaning to who I am (before my eyes) or my life? Maybe. Maybe not. It's widely known that the important part of a quest is not the destination, but the journey in itself. I am not out in the search for a college degree exactly. I am out to prove to myself what's the meaning of my life through the fight for the One dream. Many around me have told me my life is meaningful, but I fail to feel it. I guess the meaning of "I" and of "my life" is better grasped when I figure it out by myself.

Through the centuries, dreams and goals have come and go. Some I've achieved, some I've discarded because they lost meaning. Just one dream has stayed the same and my desire for it never dimmed. Just one dream makes my heart cry with longing, frustration, and hope. It is the only dream I know, in my heart of hearts, everything I am -virtues and flaws, vision and madness- is the perfect combination that's needed to get it. That long neglected (many times qualified by others as "meaningless") Dream is where I'll find my meaning and the meaning of my life.

Few will understand this but I don't care. It won't be easy. It's proving not to be easy already. Sometimes I feel I'm walking alone, but I know I'm not. As long as my heart is true and my cause is right, help and support will always be given to me. Not always from where I expect or would like it come, but it will come (and is coming) nonetheless.

Now you know where Father Dragon has been lately. ;)

Dragon Hugs!

21 comments:

  1. And you just keep after that dream! You're scoring high and conquering tests. And taking a few Dwarves prisoner along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by - and hope you're feeling better, o wise one :)

      Delete
  2. I think more people will understand than you think. Pursuing dreams is scary business. It's the reason many people opt out of what they really want and take a safe path instead. Safe, not happy. Safe, not satisfied. Safe, not thrilling.

    So, keep on slaying dragons AND pursuing your dreams. Unless they are one and the same? Then just slay dragons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or slay dragonslayers? Oh... you know what I was getting at...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep going! That one dream is special. Just going after it is a big part of what gives life meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following our dreams is important. I wish you much success in your quest. Good luck with all that studying too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it's stayed with you this long, then it's more than a dream. It's a burning desire. (Which is fitting for a dragon.) Just keep chasing it and you'll achieve it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following your dream is scary. Sometimes discouraging. But so very worth while.
    Keep dreaming, dear dragon. You have a LOT of people at your back encouraging you on (sometimes with a spear to your butt).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, if it is important to YOU, then it is important enough to pursue. Its great that you can now work towards and possibly achieve a missed opportunity. Good luck with your studies Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As Alex said, you have been getting high marks in your progress towards you dream so continue to pursue this dream dear dragon. You know we are all behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Father Dragon - just good to know you're opening your mind to new crafts ... as long as those raiding skills stay on your side of the ocean!! Good luck - what ever is important to you is important to your happiness ... take care and persevere ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always feel education is important. I'm sure raiding villages and roasting humans are getting boring after 803 years. All the best with pursuing your dreams. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're ridding that dream elevator, which must be a big elevator to support a dragon. You'll soon get to the top, but you have pass and even stop at a few floors first. You're on your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, FD... GO FOR IT!!!! Learning is a wonderful thing. The MOMENT WE STOP it's time to bury ourselves in a hole and NEVER come out.... Take FLIGHT! ALWAYS...

    Like you, I am studying too... I decided to learn your native tongue, Spanish. MY Rosetta course was delivered a few days ago and I am determined to spend two hours a day to learn this. I will be speaking Spanish soon I hope. I have a trip to South America planned for mid May and I'd truly enjoy to converse with my friends in their native tongue. They have always been so kind to speak to me in their limited English, but now I will be able to converse with them. IF they speak SLOWLY. I already know some Spanish, but this course it truly helpful.

    SO I'm right there with you hitting the books! LOL


    HUGS back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you identified your dream and are pursuing it. I love that it's education. I really value education of any kind-- degree-seeking, lifelong learning, professional development, personal development-- I just don't care. I think it's just such a nourishing fuel for our hearts, minds, and souls. GO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to go with your studies! Diplomas always seem so flimsy after all the work that goes into getting them. I think the experiences of learning are greater than the pieces of paper. However, I do hope that they make yours resistant to flame. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for going after your dream! Keep doing so, Father Dragon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's a great dream to go after. Stay with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dreams are what keep us going, and a dream of an education is one of the most beautiful. It will fulfill you in unimaginable ways. And you'll pick up some Virgin barbecue sauce recipes that will be the envy of every dragon on the block.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Knowledge is power and as they say, the more you know, the farther you can go. Persevere and you'll achieve your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The only thing more dangerous than a dragon is a degree-toting dragon. Brains and brawn is an awesome combination. Seriously though, I have full confidence in your ability to get that diploma and chase that dream. God speed, my dear dragon. God speed.

    ReplyDelete