Monday, August 18, 2014

When the right is not right...

First, thanks for all the birthday notes! They made my day even better. :)

I am typing with my left hand. I'm right handed but my right is currently on a week off for healing. It seems I suffer carpal tunnel syndrome and I've been abusing my wrist nerves for too long. Now they are protesting in a way I can't possibly keep ignoring because the constant pain impairs my creative activities.

The recommendation was to stop working for a week. Rest the wrist, use a splint, etc. I have been working on a project for the last 10 days and it has been ages since the last time I've been this passionate about something. The idea to interrupt my momentum didn't trill me. Quite the opposite. Yet, the pain was already bad and I knew I would only regret being stubborn about it.

So using my right is not right and all I have left is my left. I was bummed at first. When your dominant hand is impaired, you feel like you have no hands at all because the other one is so clumsy. Then I remembered I read somewhere that an excellent exercise for brain and memory was to use your non-dominant hand to do daily activities like brushing your teeth and dressing and such. Of course dragons don't wear clothes but I do brush my teeth and hair. I also read that sketching with your non-dominant hand was excellent for creativity and improve your skills overall. I started to get excited about the whole situation. It was not too bad. It was an opportunity to get the best out of the other parts of my body! Yes, it would be difficult at first but after all, I did have two hands. There was no reason why one had to be the "skillful" one and the other the "dummy" one, aside from habit. If I could make my left as skillful as my right, it would just push my frontiers further away and make my world broader.

You may think it silly but I actually told my left hand "I don't believe you are dumb. You can do what I want you to do. We'll make it happen and I'll be just amazing". Yes, dragon ego flashing here. It's in my nature. Anyways, this is not the first time I am left with my left only. It is the first time I have achieved to make it work ALMOST right so fast. I think the secret is in the brain (like everything else.) Once you are willing to believe you can make your body work for you instead of against you, amazing things will happen. After all, light starts there all the time.



  Dragon Hugs!

12 comments:

  1. What is it Walt Disney said? If you can dream it, you can achieve it.
    Sorry about your wrist. I've never tried working with just my left hand. I'm sure that would be a real challenge with the guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your wrist. I think it is so great that you saw the positive of the situation and you made the best of it. And no, your left hand isn't dumb, just a little out of practice. Hope the pain goes away, or at least gets tolerable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry your right hand/wrist is giving you such fits. I hope it heals soon. In the meantime, you sound like you're making the best of things with your left hand and adjusting quite well. Go You!! Oh, and where's' the illustrations you made with your left hand?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you have taken advice and stopped using your right. I am impressed that you can type so well with your left. Clever dragon. Don't the dwarves type?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wrist pain sucks. I've struggled with tendinitis for the past couple of months, and have been wearing a wrist brace. But it's my non-dominant hand. After my son was born, I tried to learn single-hand typing, so I could still get writing done and have a hand free for him. Never made it to a fast pace, but I'm better at it with just my left hand (non-dominant) than my right! Maybe it was because I told myself I needed my dominant one for the boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at things in a positive way sure helps. Hope the pain soon eases and you can be back to typing two handed. Sorry missed your birthday last week, I must have been on my blog break. Happy belated wishes to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I am so impressed at your positive attitude - and sad that you needed it on this occasion.
    I was left handed until I went to school. One of the teachers tied my hand behind my back to stop me using it. I am now very, very right handed. Reverting to only using my left again would be a HUGE challenge.
    I hope your pain is disappearing fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every difficulty is an opportunity in disguise. So glad you saw through this one and discovered some exciting things about YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about the wrist and wishing you a speedy recovery. Maybe in a week's time you can declare yourself ambidextrous! :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. My father was one of those who was born a leftie but they made him change to right in school. He remained able to do most things with both hands, so I agree with you, it's all in the brain! Can't wait to see how this "experiment" works out for you Father Dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Father Dragon - glad you had a happy birthday .. and now the leftie is getting used to being a leftie in real life, not the 2nd in line behind the rightie ... certainly the brain will adjust ... but I hope the rest will ease the pain ... and here's to you returning with two hands to direct life once again ... perhaps with some more breaks in between ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've tried talking to my left hand, petting it, taking it to the spa and still it refuses to do my bidding. I believe it has a mind of its own. So, of course, I'm in awe of your ability to make yours function properly.

    ReplyDelete